This is one of the most challenging aspects of communication in any relationship. Some people may perceive your feedback or comments as constructive and helpful, where others may find it discouraging and offensive.
- Why does this happen?
- What can I do to better manage these different perspectives?
- How can I communicate more effectively so that it connects with everyone?
Although these are all very important questions, I have discovered without developing the awareness of the “Why”, it becomes much more difficult to address the “What” and “How” questions.
As we continue with this series of posts on effective feedback, I would encourage you to reflect on the following questions:
- Why are some people motivated by different things?
- Why do some individuals see things differently from me or others?
- Why are some people triggered into internal conflict more easily than others?
- Why can the same strength be appreciated by some individuals, yet to others, it comes across as overwhelming or as a negative behaviour?
Developing the awareness of the reasons WHY this happens in communication and relationships is the first step to achieving communication effectiveness and delivering productive feedback.
Next Post, How To Coach For Performance? Stay tune…